Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Library Day...it's a messy one :)

I'm not the biggest Dr. Seuss fan myself, but a few of his books are certainly on my list of must reads. This isn't actually one of my favorite stories, although it's a great lesson in learning to say 'I'm sorry', but I do love the activities that follow a lively reading...






And the recipe, for all of you brave enough to try it is: 2 cups cornstarch, 1 cup water, mix well. You can add food coloring for fun, we like to make ours green! When it starts to get a little dry from all the play, add a little more water, a tablespoon at a time.

You can have some pretty great discussions with older children about solids and liquids after making oobleck. It is firm and melty all at the same time. Miss M was fascinated by it, JB didn't really like the feel of it, he cried for the first few minutes, but finally warmed up to the mess at the end!

It makes a big mess but it is very easy clean-up, just soap and water, or a wet rag in most cases. It even dries in their hair and then flakes right off...just in case you were wondering :)

2 comments:

  1. I'll send TC over to experience it at your house. I'm way too OCD for that much mess, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're such a fun mom :) thanks for the book recommendation, i've never read it. i'll have to try this one day...i think the girls would love it.

    ReplyDelete