Monday, September 12, 2011

worship

Yesterday in church we sang one of my favorite hymns...I have a lot of favorite hymns actually. I grew up in a Baptist church that sang hymns and only hymns, usually set to organ and piano music, for most of my childhood. Somewhere in my late high school years someone started adding "choruses" but those hymns stick in my brain unlike any praise song I've heard! Maybe it's because I sang them for so many years and heard them played in my home, maybe it's because they are generally more "meaty" than the average praise song and maybe, just maybe, I'm old!!

Anyway, here's what we sang yesterday, perfect for a day of rememberance!

’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
And to know, “Thus saith the Lord!”
Refrain:
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!

Oh, how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
And in simple faith to plunge me
’Neath the healing, cleansing flood!
Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus,

Just from sin and self to cease;
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace.

I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that Thou art with me,
Wilt be with me to the end.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'll be old with you. When we left our former hymn singing church, I missed that music terribly. Last year I bought the 50 Greatest Hymns on cd and listen to it all the time. There is nothing else like it. :)

    ReplyDelete